30 November 2008

Tipping - the next ancillary revenue frontier

OK - I am mad and I really think someone needs to pay for this injustice being inflicted on us all. And I have an object of my ire. Its Micros-Fidelio.

Normally I have a lot of respect for the company that has become the de facto standard in POS - Point of Sale - terminals. But now I hate them with a passion.

Why?

Well the latest version of their software in the US environment comes with automatic tipping included. Learning from their optional packages for Cruise Lines and upscale resorts - the option to add tipping now comes in general packages which are going to cost all of us more money.

So how does it work? By default you can now set the price of the tip to 15% or any other amount. Also it can be post tax or pre-tax. Further there are options to leave a space for additional tips and an auto calculator that gives you the higher levels of tip at specific percentages. I have seen up to 21% offered.

So I want to start a new campaign called NOTIP. This stands for NOT OPTING to TIP INCOMPETENT PROPRIETORS. Speaking to the servers they don't like it either as they are not (necessarily) getting the extra cash. Rather just the airlines and hotels they are using it to boost profits.

So how can you join NOTIP? Just delete the amounts on the bill - you are not obligated to pay any tip. And then give the tip directly to the server in the amount you think is appropriate.

From now on I am carrying more cash and striking these amounts.

Daylight (and Night Time) Robbery.

Just say NOTIP

No comments: