23 December 2008

2008/9 Charity Project Results

Dear All

I received a lot of comments on the charity choices. I would like to thank all the people who sent me comments and suggestions on the choices. If I may I will highlight just a few of the additional choices that I like:

From Professor Stuart: http://www.embraceglobal.org - this really plays to one of my personal strategies in giving, namely helping people to help themselves using simple low cost solutions. check it out.

From Professor Alex who volunteers his time in Miami for Empower Youth. It tries to focus on at risk youths. A very worthy cause.

From Professor Chris - the 1Sky Campaign. Its new so I cannot say much about it other than I like its ideals and I love the name. http://apps.facebook.com/causes/beneficiaries/21473?m=011c4beb

I picked on these 3 as examples for people to look at and stimulate what you can do.

But charity as they say begins at home. I was struck over the last few days to see what happens when our own industry fails itself. I am talking about the massive delays and disruption that occurred in the Pacific Northwest. I witnessed great acts of personal charity that demonstrated how well we can serve our fellow man. My neighbor drove 11 hours to go and fetch his daughter from Spokane and came back with 3 fellow lost souls and got them home. My daughter too brought home a lost soul who has ended up staying with me for 3 days until her next flight out.

So perhaps the next time we see a major system breakdown like this - lets all pitch in if we can. If everybody did just one small thing - gave someone a lift, a bed for the night, a blanket etc... we would all be better off. In these tough times lets all do what we can for each other.

Merry Christmas Virginia - yes there is a Santa Claus and he doesn't have to live at Macys!!!

Cheers

No comments: