12 September 2009

Warning... Facebook is Forever - v3.0


I love Microsoft Outlook. Like many people I live in it - it really does help run my life.

Also like many people I have a page on Facebook.

For some time now Facebook has been making access to the pages open. I doubt that many people have been thinking about this. However perhaps you should. Whatever is on your Facebook public profile page or if you have set you account to the default open - then you can have a picture or comments that you might not necessarily thought was viewable outside of Facebook. Think again.

The line between a closed user group and open social networks is now blurring rapidly. The concept of a differentiation between your "true social" and your "extended social" network is no longer totally in your control when you commit to technology such as Facebook. I have commented that many of the open apps out there are building links to the various social network tools like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Linked-In etc. There is a battle going on between these players for mind share and we are going to be collateral victims whether we like it or not. Let me give you a specific example - there are others - but this one scares the living daylights out of me!!!

I am always trying to look for new tools to improve my productivity. I drown in email as I know many others do. So I found a great tool, I have been using it for about a year now - xobni. That's inbox spelled backwards. Its a great tool... but...
there is a catch. They mine data from the social network accounts and show the data on them.

Well a warning they are using the open access links to access the data on your Facebook. At first it was just the image. Well now it has gone deeper as the access into your social network goes viral.

So if your picture or latest comments on Facebook happen to be of a salacious nature - then it will appear in the image box to the right. More so its conceivable that when your job interview email arrives on the desk of XYZ Corp for the job of newest hot shot of Client relations it will also bring up other data. Also it is quite conceivable that there was a relationship between a third party that you both know (for example the chap who got you that interview) who just happened to be having an affair with the same person you are having an interview with the relationship will show up... OK so a little far fetched but the possibility has been there for a while and is now very real. Oh yes and by the way - I pulled a few things off my Facebook as a result. I think I am going to edit some of my "network" out.... Also I think I am a little late to the party on this one. I did a search using variants of "Where does Facebook Appear" and there is a lot of instances to give you sleepless nights.

So once again - you have been warned. Facebook is forever...

Cheers

No comments: