10 April 2010

Riding the Rails - Simplifying the Experience.

IATA has had an initiative for some time called SPT - simplifying passenger travel.

BOW DO WE NEED THIS!

This past week - the Professor has been riding the rails. Given the different and varied number of trips I took - I almost felt like this was I was John L Sullivan (of Travels fame).

So here is what I actually undertook:

18 Separate Train Journeys

Heathrow Express (UK)
London Underground (4)
Gatwick Express (UK)
Zurich Tram (2)
SBB Train (2)
Munich S-Bahn
Munich U-Bahn
Deutche Bahn ICE (2)
SNCF TGV
DB IC
DB Regional
Stuttgart S-Bahn

Interestingly the service is good and reliable. But it really opened my eyes to one key fact - Air Travel has become WAY too complicated and therefore of less and less value as a form of transportation.

I believe that we in the industry need to start working hard to reduce the complexity of the travel experience.

So who is going to take on my challenge? It really needs to be a crusade.

Cheers

1 comment:

Silvia Monsdi said...

Hellow everyone,

I know all the trains mention where from Europe, but I really have a distincion for the train in México, called El Chepe. Fantastic route through Mexico amazing natural landscapes and villages. Leave some links if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ChepeOficial
http://www.chepe.com.mx/