16 April 2009

OK So... What Is Twitter?

I get a lot of invites to Twitter. I doubt that I am alone. I have been on Twitter for a while and as regular readers know - I am not enamored with the concept of Twitter.

So I have taken to asking people what they like/dislike about it - but more importantly what they think Twitter is.

Using the famous barstool research methodology, the most common response is "Web 2.0" or "its a social networking thing."

And what does Twitter think it is? And I quote:

"About Twitter

Twitter is a unique approach to communication and networking based on the simple concept of status. What are you doing? What are your friends doing—right now? With Twitter, you may answer this question over SMS or the Web and the responses are shared between contacts."

So anyone using Twitter to communicate more than status s\is not playing the game properly.

Well I think that's about 8 Million.. or so - including that well known Tweeter John McCain who personally approves his Tweets...

Web tracking firm Comscore did a study in February on Twitter users. Here is part of the study results:

...Twitter users who are in the 35-to-44-year-old age group spend nearly 20 minutes on the microblogging site at any given visit, according to comScore. That's compared to those aged 18 to 24 who only spend 5.3 minutes on the site, and 25- to 34-year-olds who spend 5.8 minutes tweeting and reading tweets. However, after the 35-to-44-year-old age group, time spent on Twitter drops off again. Users aged 45 to 54 spend 7 minutes on Twitter, but the number bumps up to 9.3 minutes for those aged 55 to 64.

Personally I think the numbers have more to do with dexterity and ADD than a usage profile.

What do you think?

Cheers

No comments: