02 December 2008

Airlines start to get nervous - FF programs all quiet

You can tell when airlines are not sure what to do - they keep quiet.

So it would seem it is with the Frequent Flyer Programs - they are just too quiet. Now maybe I am just not paying too much of the right attention, but I see nothing going on at the moment other than some really lame promotions. Witness the following - Delta...

Promotion Number 1 - book 2 Hilton nights and get 6x miles. Hmmm that and 2/6 will get you an old style cup of tea.

Promotion Number 2 - book Alaska and Delta on the same ticket and get 1000 bonus miles. Yahoo!!!!

Nothing so far about the tier levels for 2009. I am debating whether to book on DL and whether my large number of MQMs is worth adding to or not. Do you think DL would be enticing me right now? ... so far nothing.

Contrast this with BA who has decided that Premium travelers are really worth something and are going to hold onto them as much as they can.

United still doesn't realize that I have abandoned them. I would be paying a lot of attention to my Premium guys right now.

So these chaps are probably starting to sweat... all this nickel and dime nonsense with the ancillary revenue has really ticked off the Premium travelers. So as they start to address the general dissatisfaction and aggravation of the frequent flyers. They had better start playing nice or there will be a lot of expensive making up to do. And sorry - flowers and small mile deals don't cut it.

Cheers

No comments: