25 September 2009

BA Sets Whopping Charges For Seats

I think everyone knows that BA is having a bit of a hard time. Things have not gone its way lately. So in an effort to drum up some new revenue, BA is going to set new charges for seat assignments. And boy are they going to be expensive. But its very curious as to their stated logic of why they are charging such astronomical fees.

So get this - according to the BBC – British Airways customers will have to pay through the nose from October 7th 2009. Prices range from £10 per person for European economy flights, to £60 (no that is not a misprint) for long haul trips in business class.

BA said it would "give customers more control over their seating options". But they already have control... so how is charging them for it more "control"?

The airline says it currently allows passengers to reserve seats in the 24 hours prior to departure. This is not entirely true. Silver and Gold card holders can reserve their seats at any time in any class. Premium passengers can also do the same. That should take care of at least 50% of BA's passengers.

The new charge - the airline claims are aimed at passengers wanting to reserve seats earlier than this - will be £20 on long-haul economy or short flights in business class, while a seat in an emergency exit row will cost £50. These are staggering charges at best. But this is also not true. Again premium passengers don't currently have this restriction. Ditto for Gold and Silver players. So let me see if I get this right. I can pretty much

This can be booked between 10 and four days before take-off. Currently I can change my seats as a Silver member up to 8 hours prior to take off and immediately after booking. So what am I missing here?

A BA spokeswoman said: "Customers frequently request specific seats, but in the past we've only been able to confirm them 24 hours in advance or on the day. We know people want to secure them in advance and have real control over their flying experience. This will allow them to do that."

Well I am sorry - as any BA FF knows this is also only partially true. So I find it hard to understand why BA would be telling quite a few whopping fibs like this.

BA PR hacks again? I wonder if the Tax man is going to look now at BA’s fees and ask if that constitutes diversion away from the ticket charge.

C'mon BA - you can be better than this....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BA are a customer and I suspect that if I'm not careful I'll be identified - to my professional and financial detriment - thus it is with regret and reluctance that I choose to be anonymous. That said, while I sympathize with some - but certainly not all - of BA's finacial woes, this decision is one containing a lethal brew of idiocy, arrogance, and ignorance made by someone with little understanding of the industry to which he/she claims to belong. Be assured that as long such a "revenue generation/enhancement/management" policy is in place I will make certain that my company's products are sold to BA at the highest possible level (we are sole source for all airlines and have recently - at their request - been giving discounts to BA) and will simutaneously avoid flying BA, or placing our cargo on BA, whenever and however possible. Probably a good thing in any event, as we'll undoubtedly have fewer Transatlantic shipments bumped.

Professor Sabena said...

Ouch.... Although I suspect this will be a common response. For BA's frequent flyers at the silver and gold level (even the exalted black card which even I have only ever seen once) the dilution of the mystique of the brand is now lost. From where I sit, BA represents quite a lot of what Britain similarly signifies. Past Glory.

BA - and clearly we have the benefit of hindsight, for which a commentator such as I can pontificate - does seem to have made a lot of mis-steps in recent years. The legendary innovation and product quality that powered the brand for so many years under Marshall and King now seems but a distant memory. For me personally as someone born British - that makes me sad. For me as a punter, I share the sentiment and will most undoubtedly move my business elsewhere. As I examine my use of BA I find it sorely lacking in so many areas. This is but another one. BA has sunk now to below the standard of a US carrier.